The skimmed milk is simply a low calorie, low-fat version of whole or full-fat milk. It is also known as ‘healthy milk’ – one of the most popular milk variants available in the market.
Today, we are going to learn about the nutritional benefits of skimmed milk and what makes it so healthy.
Difference Between Skimmed And Whole Milk:
One glass of skimmed milk daily a day, keeps unhealthy fat away!
1. The biggest difference between the two is the fat content.
2. The skimmed milk provides the same essential nutrients and vitamins (like A, C D, E, K, Calcium, Folic Acid, and Iron) as whole milk which helps our heart, muscles, and immune system to function properly.
3. Contrary to whole milk, skimmed milk has more natural sugar; it also contains more calcium and protein – both vital for the development and the protection of teeth bones and muscle function.
4. The level of potassium is also high in skimmed milk that contributes to maintaining healthy blood pressure and regulating the functioning of muscle and nerve system.
5. It also contains less than 1 gram of fat and saturated fat per serving which makes it a great option for those with high cholesterol.
6. Helps to reduce the risk of high cholesterol level which can cause stroke, heart attack, coronary health disease (CVD), and heart failure. However, it is beneficial for maintaining a healthy cholesterol level.
7. Skimmed milk also contains two types of proteins: casein and whey. Both are important sources to build and repair muscle, as well as maintaining muscle function.
8. Incorporates a total of eighteen amino acids (known as the building blocks protein) and other nine essential amino acids that are responsible for building and maintaining lean muscles.
9. Researchers have found that skimmed milk helps to build muscles more quickly than alternative protein sources, such as soy protein.
Why Trust Skimmed Milk?
Do you know consuming one glass of skimmed milk daily is equivalent to 63 Brussels sprouts, 11 servings of spinach, or four servings of broccoli? Amazing right! Milk is the best source of calcium that is necessary for the growth of the bones and teeth. It contains all the essential calcium that helps normal blood clotting and muscle function.
Apart from just being healthy, it contains around half the calories (around 80 calories) of whole milk (around 150 calories) which makes it a popular choice for those who enjoy drinking milk on a daily basis.
For those who are health conscious or actively trying to lose or maintain a healthy weight, drink a glass of skimmed milk for consuming a large dose of vitamins and minerals. The properties and nutritional values of skimmed milk make it a great choice for those who are lactose intolerant or have allergies related to milk.
Health Benefits of Skimmed Milk
If you want to decrease the risk of developing osteoporosis, obesity, maintain lean muscle mass, and improve cholesterol level. Then add skimmed milk in your shopping list.
1. Builds Lean Muscles
- Rich source of all essential proteins and amino acids.
- Helps to build and maintain lean muscle mass
2. Promote Weight Loss
- Helps to aid weight loss
- Build overall muscle
- Helps to achieve critical electrolyte level for carrying out normal activities
3. Essential for Growth and Development
- Consists of a good amount of protein that helps to build proper bone structure
- Helps to build a strong backbone
- Develop muscle, cells, and tissues
4. Bone Mineral Density
- Rich in minerals that help to boost bone strength
- Decrease the risk of developing a bone disease like osteoporosis at a young age
- Helps to strength inner muscles and make you feel strong
5. Improves Heart Health
- Helps to lower the risk of atherosclerosis
- Protect against other cardiovascular problems
Why Ditch Whole or Full-Fat Milk
The shelves of supermarkets are full of all types of milk varieties- full cream, toned, double toned, and skimmed. Lately, most people prefer the last one as their favorite because it is free from dietary fats and therefore ideal for losing weight. The consistency of the milk is lighter and thinner, great if you are planning to curb your calorie intake.
The nutritionist or the health expert recommends skimmed milk to those who are gaining weight because whole milk contains saturated fat and fat-soluble vitamins that might not be absorbed well in the body, results in boosting the cravings.
However, to fight the caloric and fat content one can probably include skimmed milk in their daily diet. This way your body will get healthy fat to avoid untimely sugar craving.
Now, you can also achieve the content of healthy fat in your body by drinking skimmed milk and without worrying about calories.
Skimmed Milk Sings Out For Wiser Choice
As we have learned from above that milk can be a powerhouse component for a healthy diet. So, it is always better to choose skimmed milk which has fewer calories and a higher amount of vitamins than whole milk (thanks to fortification). Studies conducted by experts have shown that “bad” cholesterol is dangerous for the heart. Whereas, skimmed milk seems appealing as it contains the same levels of nutrients like any other milk available at dairies.
Here Is A Breakdown Of Protein, Potassium, And Calcium Sound In A Single Serving:
1. Whole milk contains 8 grams of proteins, 9 percent of potassium, and 27% of calcium.
2. Skimmed milk contains 8 grams of protein, 10% of potassium, and 29% of the daily value of calcium.
Skimmed milk is so versatile that you can prepare all those lovely creamy sauces and sweet delicacies without compromising on the taste. Don’t worry! Your chocolate craving can be satisfied. Recipes like fudge or brownies can be prepared using non-fat skimmed milk, as it will be low in cholesterol level but tastes pretty same when combined with other ingredients.
Now you know the secret of making amazing low-calorie chocolate walnut fudge or brownies that taste heavenly good.
Wish you healthy cooking!